Friday, September 27, 2019

Hacktoberfest 2019



Hacktoberfest 2019 is almost here and this year I will be participating in it! It will be my first time participating in an event like this and I am looking forward to it. I am a little bit scared to be contributing to other people’s projects because I could make a mistake or not even be able to help anyone at all. My open source class requires us to find a couple issues and do at least 4 pull requests in Hacktoberfest. I do not know if I can find at least 4 issues that I can help with, but I am excited to try.

I have set 2 goals for myself that I will try to achieve during this event. The first goal I set for myself is to improve my skills in React and JavaScript. I found a couple issues that I might be able to solve during Hacktoberfest.

The first one I found is one that might be too big for me to attempt but it piqued my interest, https://github.com/esfiddle/api/issues/1 . It is about creating different routes in React using JavaScript which is exactly what I want to work on.

The second issue (https://github.com/react-bootstrap/react-bootstrap/issues/3940) I found is something a little smaller, it is also using React and the issue is that it the id cannot be set and this issue will help me learn more about React.

My second goal is to learn a new language, specifically Python because my capstone project for school needs to be able to connect front end and back end logic using React and Python. I want to learn Python so I can contribute and help my teammates more.

Since I do not know anything about the difficulty level of Python, the issue I found (https://github.com/mayukh18/BlindChat/issues/2) had the beginner tag and did not sound too hard so I might try this issue. I will try to learn some beginner theory and practical Python programming before attempting this.

Another issue (https://github.com/Cloud-CV/EvalAI/issues/1543) I found is about passwords, how spaces are allowed but once it goes through, the function will trim the spaces and the password will now change. This issue seems a little bit more challenging so it is something I will attempt after I get more comfortable with Python.

I will continue to update my progress during Hacktoberfest and will let you guy know if I attempted/completed these issues or moved on to something new!


No comments:

Post a Comment